Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: Avoiding the "Rescue Purchase"

Happy Thursday, folks. It's hard to believe that another week is almost over, as well as the month of March - a quarter of the year.  I'd like to think I've accomplished a lot in the first 3 months of this year, but that is not the case.  The best I can do at this point, is let the beautiful weather (even if it's not happening, yet) energize, renew & motivate me.

For now, Amanda & I decided that I should talk about another of my weaknesses, in the hopes that a) I will stop doing it, or b) I can prevent someone else from doing it.  What is "it?"  We call it "The Rescue Purchase."
And it's something I encounter not only while Thrifting, but at yard sales & estate sales, as well.  Buying something that seems like it should be sentimental to SOMEone, is what we refer to as "The Rescue Purchase."  For example, a bag of crocheted granny squares; a box of quilt pieces, most likely hand cut; finished quilt top, just waiting to be sandwiched & quilted; completed afghans/quilts/blankets; photos/photo albums (with names).  I'm sure there are more items, but these cause me the most grief!

I've "rescued" many of the aforementioned items.  And, by rescue, I mean I bought.  It doesn't mean that I've necessarily done anything useful with them.  THIS is the problem - I rescue it & add it to MY pre-existing clutter! I currently have two bags of crocheted granny squares that would each probably make a lap-size afghan, IF completed. I've rescued quilt pieces and have added them to my stack of UnFinishedObjects! I have actually NOT purchased photos albums, but have been extremely tempted & a little tortured by many.  Our mom was actually able to reunite an old album with family members, so I always wonder IF I could do the same.

If I would actually follow through on the rescue, then I don't think anyone (my hubby, sister, etc) would harrass me! I've been better lately, but that's mostly because Amanda is with me while I'm thrifting! I will always want to save these items...BUT, it isn't really being "thrifty" to buy things that I won't use! SO, I will try to avoid the rescue purchase!

Well, gotta go.  Happy Thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment